Thursday, March 10, 2016

Week 6: Limbo

March 10, 2016

Hola, amigos! Unfortunately, this week was very unproductive so I don't have much to report. The lack of progress is due to some logistical issues.

Like I talked about last week, I began working on the manual selection of match points this week, but I didn't get very far. This is because in order to do manual matching, I have to use a program that was developed by the USGS on Linux computers and still only works on Linux computers. To get around this, I need to use a "virtual machine" which emulates another computer's operating system on my computer.

Using a Scientific Linux on my Mac (How cool!)

The problem is that the good folks at the USGS are working on a way of accessing outside drives through this virtual box, and because they haven't yet come up with a way to do this, I'm sitting here in limbo until they get that all figured out. In addition, my external advisor has been swamped with meetings and deadlines and such all week so we haven't had a lot of opportunities to meet and discuss the project. Fingers crossed that everything is resolved soon!

3 comments: