Thursday, March 3, 2016

Week 5: More Tests, New Algorithm

March 3, 2016

Woohoo! More testing! If you've been keeping up with my blog, you'll know that last week my advisor told me that we would be using a new method to find match points that would hopefully be more accurate. This method, which uses the "Fundamental Matrix" should be more accurate and make it easier to find errors. I still don't entirely (or at all) understand how the Fundamental Matrix works (thanks Saxon math...), but that's okay because I just need to understand how to use it in the program.

The Results

Here are some of the results we got when using the Fundamental Matrix method compared to the homography method. As you can see, in a couple different image situations, the fundamental matrix gave more match points. If you look at the corresponding images, you'll notice that in addition to more match points, the fundamental matrix gives a slightly more evenly distributed set of points than the homography.

Image Set Number of Points
Control - Homography
624
Control - Fundamental Matrix
827
5º Rotation - Homography
482
5º Rotation - Fundamental Matrix
574

Control - Homography

Control - Fundamental Matrix

Rotation - Homography

Rotation - Fundamental Matrix
Based on these results, I think we will begin replacing the homography with the fundamental matrix and epipolar lines.

Looking Ahead

Next week, the plan is for my advisor to teach me how to use the OpenCV software to choose manual match points. Once I get that down, we will be comparing the quality of automated chosen match points to the quality of our manually chosen match points. We'll see how it goes!

2 comments: